Monday 3 December 2007

Learning Agreement

(From October) Learning Agreement/Statement of Intent:
"For my final project in Level 2 I looked at the general public’s addiction to celebrity and “reality” television; highlighting the fact people are constantly under daily surveillance and caught on camera, as much as if not more than celebrities.

My work is often concept led, looking at the idea and information behind the design as much as the design itself. Moving on this year I want to look at consumerism and advertising through design. The way in which the design of a brand can make or break it, and the values which are associated with it; positive or negative. I do not intend to aim for a specific outcome. Rather I would prefer that my research and opinions inform the manifestation of my work. I have always found using typography and layout to be my strengths and as such my final outcome will most likely display a preference towards this. Influencing my work is Modernism and Swiss design, with their clean lines and geometric shapes; mixed with contemporary work by The Designer’s Republic and Anthony Burrill amongst others.

I am interested in the personalization of design, where mass produced objects become personal to an individual through their preferences and use of a product; from something a simple as a t-shirt to an iPod. Self expression in the face of advertisement overload."

(From November/December) XLA:

"Since the beginning of the year my work has taken a different route from what I had proposed, however I do not think that this is a bad thing. By allowing my work to take its own path I have re-discovered how enjoyable design can be. Whilst trying to work dynamically on a range of briefs I have begun to develop what I deem to be my own graphic language, something I haven't done before. Strong influences for this are taken from Modernist design, with strong colours, shapes and discipline mixed with a more light-hearted pop culture tinge.

No comments: