Monday 3 December 2007

Rambling!!

The following rambles originate from the start of the year before formulating into my previous proposal:

"Advertising. Commerce. Consuming. Okay I admit it. I am a consumer. In the modern world of global warming, ethical products and mass marketing it is almost a sin. Is it? We're all consumers whether we like it or not. To be truly self sufficient is virtually impossible because the world revolves around money. Buying and selling. Whilst I have admitted my consumer status, I am rarely swayed by advertising, in its numerous forms in our society. I can't remember the last time I saw an advert and had to buy what was being sold to me. I don't walk past a bus stop and suddenly have an urge to buy perfume, or a burger or see the latest box office film. As a means of communicating information it is becoming more and more difficult to stand out from the crowded streets. Too much information. We are overloaded by visual information, even when trying to seek out specific information we become side tracked by some more information. You're watching tv, but your on the internet aswell with a magazine open next to you and there's a half read novel in your bag and the latest record is playing through the stereo, plus people wanting attention. This isn't really going anywhere."

"Design for the masses. Something for everyone that's useful. I want to create work which could be mass produced, and yet is personal to each individual. The Every-brand. I am interested in consumerism, advertising and marketing, its effectiveness in the modern world. Physical design which has a value to its owner. Everything is becoming too disposible, music, media, the written world. Virtual life isn't everything it's cracked up to be. But it is great aswell. What does an mp3 look like?"

"I want to address consumerism and advertising in the modern world. Look at how effective advertising still is in its proliferation throughout our day to day life. With so many brand messages alerting us to new products continuously do we stick with a brand or change. How does design affect this? What role dose it play? Should designers take responsibility for the information overload? After all we make it look nice. Are you more likely to buy a brand because you prefer it's logo over another? Despite its attached stigma?"

I hope these have been interesting

No comments: